January 09, 2019
New York State Catholic Conference www.nyscatholic.org 518-434-6195
The Abortion Expansion Act: Lives in the Balance
Sadly, New York State is the Abortion Capital of our nation, with a rate of 29.6 abortions for every 1,000 women of reproductive age. That’s more than twice the national average. New York legalized abortion in 1970, three years before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Roe vs. Wade. Abortion is legal here for any reason up to 24 weeks of pregnancy, and any time after that if the mother’s life is at risk. So even if Roe were to be overruled, the vast majority of abortions in our state would continue to be legal and available. The Governor and the Democratic leadership in the New York State Legislature want to go even further, and make abortion less safe and more expansive than it is now. They’ve promised to enact the so-called “Reproductive Health Act” early in 2019. This bill would:
- Allow non-doctors to perform abortions.
- Allow abortions for any reason in the third trimester of pregnancy right up to a mother’s due date.
- Remove all criminal penalties for abortion, even if it was contrary to the mother’s choice, such as the intentional targeting of an unborn child in an act of violence.
- Remove our state’s protections for infants accidentally born alive in the course of an
abortion. This extremism goes far beyond Roe vs. Wade!
Take Action Now
Pro-life New Yorkers need to stand up in unison and make their voices heard on behalf of women and their unborn children. Tell your state lawmakers that enough is enough.
Here’s a simple way to do this. Go to the New York State Catholic Conference website at www.nyscatholic.org. Click on “Stop Abortion Expansion.” Enter your home address information, then select “Send Message.” Your message will automatically be sent to your State Senator, State Assembly Representative and the Governor. Please do it as soon as you can. It is so important to register our strong protest at this time.
Tragically, the political reality following the 2018 mid-term elections means that we are unlikely to defeat this measure in the State Legislature. Governor Andrew Cuomo is a strong proponent of the bill, and has promised to sign it into law.
If the legislation is indeed enacted into law this year, we must do all we can to ensure that vulnerable women facing unplanned pregnancies do not avail themselves of it.
What More Can We Do?
As a caring and compassionate people, we can also:
- Pray. Pray for the intercession of St. Gianna Molla, the patron saint of mothers, physicians and preborn children. Pray for changed minds, changed hearts and a deeper awakening to the sacredness and dignity of all human life.
2. Provide life-affirming choices for women. Here in the Diocese of Buffalo, there are many resources that provide women facing unplanned pregnancies with alternatives to abortion. If you know someone who is struggling, please urge them to contact:
- St. Gianna Pregnancy Outreach Center ï Buffalo Area (716) 842-2229 (BABY) ï Cattaraugus Area (716) 373-2569
ï Chautauqua Area (716) 401-3324
ï Niagara Area (716) 284-2229 (BABY)
- Mother Teresa Home (716) 424-0217
3. Help women who have suffered an abortion.
Programs offering hope and healing following abortion are also available.
- Call Confidential line (716) 847-2211
- Call (716) 847-2205
4. Build the Culture of Life.
- Talk the pro-life talk... with your family members, friends, co- workers, schoolmates. We can build consensus and change the culture one person at a time.
- Help educate the next generation. We must nurture young pro-life leaders who are unconditionally, unapologetically pro-life, who see the connection between their faith and their politics, and who are willing to put their faith into action.
Walk the pro-life walk...every minute of every hour of every day. Teach people to love and value one another. Our actions and words must reflect our respect and deep appreciation for the wondrous gift of human life.